Blue Shield Small Business News for Q4 and 2017
Blue Shield Small Business News for Q4 and 2017October 4, 2016
To ensure success through the end of the year and get a head start on 2017, below are important updates and promotions Blue Shield has announced for the small business market (1-100 employees).
- Relaxed participation has been extended through December 31, 2016. Download the latest flyer for details.
- The specialty product participation requirement has been reduced to 25% and requires Blue Shield be the sole carrier for dental, vision and life insurance plans.
- Early group submissions are encouraged for Q4.
– Applications will be good for three months from the date of signature for effective dates of October 1 through December 15th 2016.
– During Q4, only 25% of the first month’s premium is due with the application. The balance will be due upon the group’s first month’s billing date.
- DE9C’s are no longer required for groups of 10+ enrolling employees. Please note: there are requirements to participate. Download the Attestation Form.
– DE9C’s are still required for groups of 1-9 , however Blue Shield will allow groups to submit the most recent DE9C available at the time of submission.
- Blue Shield will accept another carrier’s bill in lieu of Refusal of Coverage forms for employees that are opting for the other carrier’s coverage.
– If the other carrier has not issued a bill yet, Blue Shield will accept copies of the employee applications to the other carrier.
- The Special Enrollment Period (SEP) is coming soon. Applications for new groups must be received by Blue Shield between November 15 and December 15, 2016 for a January 1, 2017 effective date. Groups are eligible for coverage without meeting the minimum participation and contribution requirements. Please note:
– Groups must still meet all other small group eligibility requirements, and
– Groups must meet the minimum participation requirements upon renewal to continue coverage.
- Blue Shield has revised their Master Group Application (MGA) for groups effective October 1, 2016. More Blue Shield forms are available here.
Employer Connection Plus
- Groups can manage their account online and set up automatic payments to avoid late payment notices.
- For groups available on Employer Connection Plus, new hire enrollments and other changes can be made online.
Please note: online changes do not take effect immediately, typically 5-7 business days to be completed. Once an online enrollment has been submitted, edits or correction cannot be done online. You must submit a Subscriber Change Request form.
- Understand how SB125 revises the definition of small group.
- 2016 Packages for Small Business (1-100 employees).
- Transition of groups with 51-100 employees to the small group market.
- Embedded pediatric dental and vision benefits FAQs.
- Relaxed Participation Promotion.
Contact the small group experts at 800.696.4543 or email@example.com.