Blue Shield Small Business News for Q4 and 2017
To ensure success through the end of the year and get a head start on 2017, below are important updates and promotions Blue Shield has announced for the small business market (1-100 employees).
- Relaxed participation has been extended through December 31, 2016. Download the latest flyer for details.
- The specialty product participation requirement has been reduced to 25% and requires Blue Shield be the sole carrier for dental, vision and life insurance plans.
- Early group submissions are encouraged for Q4.
– Applications will be good for three months from the date of signature for effective dates of October 1 through December 15th 2016.
– During Q4, only 25% of the first month’s premium is due with the application. The balance will be due upon the group’s first month’s billing date.
- DE9C’s are no longer required for groups of 10+ enrolling employees. Please note: there are requirements to participate. Download the Attestation Form.
– DE9C’s are still required for groups of 1-9 , however Blue Shield will allow groups to submit the most recent DE9C available at the time of submission.
- Blue Shield will accept another carrier’s bill in lieu of Refusal of Coverage forms for employees that are opting for the other carrier’s coverage.
– If the other carrier has not issued a bill yet, Blue Shield will accept copies of the employee applications to the other carrier.
- The Special Enrollment Period (SEP) is coming soon. Applications for new groups must be received by Blue Shield between November 15 and December 15, 2016 for a January 1, 2017 effective date. Groups are eligible for coverage without meeting the minimum participation and contribution requirements. Please note:
– Groups must still meet all other small group eligibility requirements, and
– Groups must meet the minimum participation requirements upon renewal to continue coverage.
- Blue Shield has revised their Master Group Application (MGA) for groups effective October 1, 2016. More Blue Shield forms are available here.
Employer Connection Plus
- Groups can manage their account online and set up automatic payments to avoid late payment notices.
- For groups available on Employer Connection Plus, new hire enrollments and other changes can be made online.
Please note: online changes do not take effect immediately, typically 5-7 business days to be completed. Once an online enrollment has been submitted, edits or correction cannot be done online. You must submit a Subscriber Change Request form.
Contact the small group experts at 800.696.4543 or firstname.lastname@example.org.