Blue Shield 2021 Updates
To support your efforts in 2021, below are the updates and changes announced by Blue Shield of California. Make sure to take advantage of their broker bonus programs.
COVID-19 Treatment Cost-Share Waiver Extended
- Waiver of copayments, coinsurance, and deductibles for COVID-19 treatment has been extended through January 31, 2021.
- Covered services include any treatments for COVID-19 from doctors, hospitals, and other healthcare professionals in a plan’s network from March 11, 2020, through January 31, 2021. The waiver applies to these plan types:
– Fully insured and flex-funded employer-sponsored plans.
– Plans purchased through Blue Shield directly and through Covered California.
– Medicare Advantage and Medicare Supplement plans.
– Self-insured employer-sponsored plans where the plan sponsor elects to pay for copays, coinsurance, and deductibles for COVID-19 testing. These plans are not required to cover these costs. Blue Shield will communicate directly with self-funded clients regarding options for cost-sharing waivers.
Vantage Medical Group Added to Trio HMO Network
- Effective January 1, 2021, Vantage Medical Group will be joining the Trio ACO provider network which serves the Inland Empire.
- Vantage Medical Group, which recently rejoined the Prospect Medical Group family of independent practices, is located in both Riverside and San Bernardino counties.
Relaxed Participation Requirements Extended
- Relaxed Participation Requirements for small businesses has been extended to December 31, 2021. For more details, download the flyer.
- Teladoc virtual appointments will continue to be offered at no cost to members as part of their health plan coverage, with some variance by market segment.
- All fully-insured group health plans and IFP will have a $0 copay for both Teladoc general medicine and Teladoc mental health visits. This applies to all groups, regardless of renewal or effective date.
- $0 copay includes HDHP, effective January 1, 2021.
- With Blue Shield’s Bundled Savings program, dental and vision plan rates are 10% lower when offered alongside Blue Shield medical coverage. This perpetual program has been in place since January 2019. Download the Bundle and Save brochure to learn more.
- A new self-service, digital behavioral health tool is being offered to enable members, age 13 and over, to manage their behavioral health needs in the comfort of their homes 24/7/365.
- Beginning January 2021, myStrength will be available to fully-insured Trio and Tandem members upon new enrollment or renewal.
- This tool provides access to programs and techniques to help manage stress, sleep disorders, anxiety, depression, and more.
- More details can be found on the myStrength website.
Amazon Pharmacy Launch
- Amazon Pharmacy announced operations as a home delivery option for both Prime and non-Prime members, building upon its existing platform to offer a digital interface for prescription ordering and a customer profile.
- Fulfillment of prescriptions is through the PillPack pharmacies which are already contracted with Blue Shield.
- Prescriptions fulfilled through Amazon only include up to a 30-day supply at one time.
- Blue Shield’s mail order pharmacy, CVS Caremark, is still available for members who would like to receive up to a 90-day supply of prescriptions.
- Participating Blue Shield retailers such as CVS Pharmacy, Walgreens Pharmacy, and Albertson’s companies are offering free home delivery to members.
- Brokers can earn $50 per new member and $50 more for each member, new or renewing, who enrolls in a Trio HMO or Tandem PPO plan.
- Brokers can also earn $25 per member when using the Employer Enrollment Tool for medical coverage.
Blue Shield Resources
Contact your Claremont team at 800.696.4543 or email@example.com.