Blue Shield Dental – The Value of Network Strength
An important factor to consider when recommending dental coverage options to a client is network strength. A large network minimizes disruption of care and increases member satisfaction. It also maximizes the value of your clients’ plans by giving members access to in-network provider negotiated rates, resulting in significant savings.
With Blue Shield, your clients get access to one of the largest dental HMO and PPO networks in California and nationwide. What’s more, small groups that bundle medical and dental coverage get a 10% discount off of their dental premiums, while large groups (101-1,000 employees) receive a 2% discount off of Blue Shield medical rates. Plus Blue Shield Dental plans now come with a two-year rate guarantee.
Blue Shield’s Dental Network
- Very stable with a low 2.6% provider turnover rate.
- DHMO network is the second largest in California.1
Blue Shield DHMO Network vs Competitors
- DPPO network is the fifth largest in the state.1
Blue Shield DPPO Network vs Competitors
- Specialty premium discount: add dental and/or vision plans to a new or existing group with Blue Shield medical coverage and a 10% discount will be applied to the dental and/or vision premium. Learn more.
- Streamlined administration: one bill, one renewal, and one point of administration for all of your clients’ Blue Shield business. With Employer Connection, members can print or order dental ID cards, track claims, view their account balance, and get treatment cost information.
- Two-year rate guarantee for new and existing medical groups adding dental or vision plans, and/or life insurance.
- Plan choice: dental coverage is available with or without Blue Shield medical coverage. Groups can choose from a variety of Dental PPO and HMO plans with no waiting periods, voluntary options, and even plans with implant benefits.
- Flexible options. Offer one dental plan or choose:
– Dual Option Dental: package of any two dental plans.
– Triple Option Dental: dental plan package combinations include:
• 3 DHMOs.
• 2 DHMOs and 1 DPPO.
• 2 DPPOs and 1 DHMO (must be purchased with Blue Shield medical coverage and
must have the same orthodontic benefit.).
Learn about all the Blue Shield Dental plans and benefits.
1Figures are for unique locations based on April 2021 Network 360 data.
- Q3 rates are available on PRISM. The average Q3-2021 rate action statewide is 1.2%.
- COVID-19 update: over the next month, Blue Shield will be reaching out to members by email and mail who have not yet been vaccinated encouraging them to do so.
- American Rescue Plan Act of 2021 – COBRA Subsidies
- For Cal-COBRA individuals, Blue Shield will be sending notifications. Mailings are expected to begin in the middle of May.
- For Federal COBRA individuals, employer groups or the TPA are responsible for sending notifications.
- Digital ID cards: members who have opted into electronic delivery of communications will no longer be mailed printed ID cards and instead are directed to access a digital ID card through blueshieldca.com.
- New business payments:
- Small Group Initial Payment Form is used for the initial binder payment for new group submissions only and must be a minimum of 75% of the anticipated first month of premium.
- Ongoing premium payments or Auto-Pay can be done through Employer Connection. Learn how to set up Auto-Pay.
For help presenting Blue Shield options to current and prospective employer groups, contact your Claremont team at 800.696.4543 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Blue Shield Resources
Contact your Claremont team at 800.696.4543 or email@example.com.