Blue Shield of California Q1-2024 Updates
Blue Shield of California remains committed to providing your small group clients with comprehensive benefits that prioritize the well-being of employees. Here’s a summary of the changes for the first quarter of 2024.
- Rates are now available through PRISM, our free and easy online quoting system.
- The Q1-2024 rate action is a statewide average of 3%.
- More information can be found on Broker Connection.
- January 2024 renewals are now available. February and March 2024 renewals will be available on November 9th.
- Visit the Renewal Center page on Broker Connection for more information.
- 2 new Virtual BlueSM plans are available:
– Virtual Blue Platinum Tandem PPO 250/20
– Virtual Blue Silver Tandem PPO 2700/75
Virtual Blue plans are now offered on all 4 metal tiers.
- There are minimal portfolio and plan design changes for 2024.
- The 2024 medical plan names have been mapped to the 2023 plan names.
- 2024 Medical Plans at a Glance provides a list of all 2024 plans with descriptions, value-add, and select benefit cost shares.
- 2024 Medical Plan Cheat Sheet is an easy to share list of all 2024 plan offerings.
- Q1-2024 Medical Sales Guide provides comprehensive information about selling Blue Shield of CA products and the value proposition.
- EyeMed is the new vision network provider, replacing MES Vision. EyeMed and MES have been working together to ensure a smooth transition.
- Portfolio vision changes include:
• Optometric out-of-network (OON) visits now match ophthalmologic cost share.
• Eyeglass frame OON allowance has increased.
• All vision plans include both Standard and Progressive lenses (no-line bifocals) benefits.
• Contact lens benefit updates:
– Electives – reduce OON allowance to match OON frame allowance.
– Non-elective (medically necessary) – same cost share for hard and soft contacts.
- Q1-2024 Specialty Sales Guide includes all the dental and vision plan offerings.
- The bonus program is in effect from February 1, 2024 through January 31, 2025.
- Brokers can earn points for every new Tandem and Virtual Blue PPO membership for renewing groups.
• 100 points per new enrolled member in a Tandem PPO or Virtual Blue plan as part of the initial sale.
• 50 points per new enrolled medical member on all plans, excluding Tandem and Virtual Blue PPO plans as part of the initial sale.
• 10 points per new enrolled member in a small business dental plan.
• 5 points per new enrolled member in a small business vision plan.
• 5 points per new enrolled member in a small business life insurance plan.
• 2x points for each new member enrolling in all three: dental, vision, and life (40 points total).
- The current Small Business Incentive Program is good through January 31, 2024. The new program above includes a change in points earned for non-Tandem and Virtual Blue plans.
Brokers can earn points for every new Tandem and Virtual Blue PPO membership.
- 100 points per new enrolled member in a Tandem PPO or plan. February 2023 – January 2024 effective dates.
- 100 points per new enrolled member in a Virtual Blue plan. March 2023 – January 2024 effective dates.
- Specialty plans. February 2023 – January 2024 effective dates.
• 10 points per new enrolled dental member.
• 5 points per new enrolled vision member.
• 5 points per new enrolled life member.
The 10% specialty discount is a perpetual program that is applied when a dental and/or vision plan is added to a new or existing small business medical group.
The Relaxed Participation Promotion has been extended through December 31, 2024.
- Download market-ready slides for presentations (PPTX compatible) in addition to PDFs.
- Compare up to six plans at a time, instead of four plans.
- Compare year-over-year for dental plans and include the withdrawn plans. There’s an option to auto-select a mapped dental plan or a new plan for the withdrawn dental plans.
- New Blue Shield brand style.
More information and plan summaries can be found in Blue Shield’s Q1-2024 Medical Sales Guide and Specialty Sales Guide.
Get a Quote
Get a Quote
Contact The Answer Team at 800.696.4543 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Get The Latest News with Text Messaging!
Your success is important to us, and we’re actively working on new solutions to support you throughout the year. To get the latest news via text messaging in the future, simply provide your cell phone number here.
Sign Up for Text Messaging